Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gameboy Camera for iPhone.

If you were messing about with handheld gaming devices in the mid to late 90's you know the Gameboy very well, and probably even had the camera attachment for it. I never did, though I wanted one (I opted for the pxl2000 and the Fisher Price fax paper camera, among the de rigeur selection of Polaroids, more on those later).

The funny thing about things that happened in your past is that the nostalgia for them becomes overwhelming sometimes. I recently decided I really wanted to look into getting one of those cameras. As with anything these days though, I first did a search for "Gameboy Camera" in the app store for my iPhone.

Of course there is a reasonable facsimile there, and it is surprisingly great. I do wish the contrast was a bit higher, it tends to aim to a lot of mid range to me. This ended my quest. (He also has a pretty great c64 camera app, I never knew even existed).

You can check it out here, it will be the first addition to my "Essential iPhone Camera Apps" list, which I pan to continuously update. (I mainly got my iPhone to have a camera always on me, and to take advantage of all the toy camera apps there, I now have 19 on my phone).

Sample pictures from the app...



The last picture is actually one I took with the app, I tried to push the contrast as much as I can, to mimic the original more. Like these...



Lastly, a video on the Original Gameboy Camera, to give you more info if you wanted.



See more on Amazon.
Gameboy Camera In Red
Nintendo Gameboy Camera BLUE blue version
Game Boy Printer w/ Link Cable
Original Nintendo Game Boy, Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment